Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Is your little dracula teething much?

I have to admit I think I've tried everything for the crazy teething times including:
  1. over the counter teething gels -I'm not too fond of giving the chemical cocktail nor of having to put my fingers in the little bitters mouth --ouch!
  2. gripe water -good for the upset stomach that comes from so much drool
  3. amber -not too helpful but looks cute
  4. ibuprofen -good for night time use (both yours and theirs)
  5. frozen teething toys -what a waste of money! I had better luck with frozen waffle that he could eat instead of finding it on the floor somewhere. Frozen blueberries were a hit too.
  6. teething cookies -after about the third one the Little Man didn't even want to look at another and after having tried it myself I know why
  7. homeopathic teething tablets -works for about 20 minutes and then it wears off quickly

The thing that was most successful both on the road and at home was: Sofie! She's a giraffe native to France, where she is a childhood icon and staple. These days she's made of some sort of silicone material that kids can bite to death (well so to speak). She also makes a cool squeek if you need to catch a crying baby's attention. Sofie also cleans up pretty well with a little warm water and soap -she gets bath time with the Little Man and when I'm not careful I see Little Dog cuddling up to her too.

Did I miss any remedies that you've had experience with?

2 comments:

puna513 said...

Hiya, Alex. Layla grinds her teeth. Have you heard of babies grinding their teeth? She might as well scratch her nails on a chalk board...it is so annoying.

Alex said...

Yes and it is very common. They tend to grind their teeth because it is a new sensation and the teeth are still in the setting in stage. However, if it is too severe I would see a pediatric dentist. One home remedy that works around here (for a mild case)is chamomile tea before bedtime -very relaxing.